Rhonda’s Liver & Onions
Does liver “make you quiver”? Most people have a love/hate relationship with it. If you’ve avoided it up to this point, perhaps this recipe for liver and onions will inspire you to give it another try or even try it for the first time!
6 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 pound of grass-fed beef liver (Integrity Meats is our obvious choice!)
A quantity of dairy free milk (enough to cover and soak the liver before cooking)
1/4 cup gluten free flour
salt and pepper, to taste
Turmeric, to taste
Cumin, to taste
- Gently rinse liver slices under cold water and place in a medium bowl.
- Pour in enough dairy free milk to cover the liver. Let stand while preparing onions. (I like to soak it up to an hour or two, but whatever you have time for is helpful. ) This step is SO important because it takes the bitter taste out of the liver.
- In a medium skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Stir in onions and saute’ until they caramelize.
- Set onions aside
- Heat remaining oil, in a medium skillet, over medium heat.
- Mix flour, turmeric, and cumin together in a bowl.
- Dredge liver slices in flour mixture and brown in the melted oil for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve liver smothered with caramelized onions.